- Making yellow tea in Jirisan
- Sep 05, 2013
- Until quite recently, Korea’s green tea was almost entirely produced and drunk by monks. The only tea bushes in Korea grew wild around ancient temples in the southern regions, providing monks with fresh leaves in springtime which they dried using a quite simple method of heating ...
- Green Tea in Jirisan
- Aug 21, 2013
- The area around Hwaeom-sa Temple in Gurye, on the westernmost slopes of Jirisan, is famous for the many ancient tea bushes growing there. The tea growing around Hwaeom-sa is truly wild, having spread freely across the hillsides among the bamboo groves since it was first planted t...
- Korean War brought to life
- Aug 12, 2013
- This year marks the 60th anniversary of the Korean Armistice Agreement which brought an end to the fighting in the Korean War. When North Korean troops crossed the 38th parallel on the morning of June 25, 1950, they put into motion a maelstrom which would consume the Korean ...
- A Celebration of James Scarth Gale
- Jul 26, 2013
- One of the most wonderful books ever published by the RAS Korea Branch has as its title James Scarth Gale and his History of the Korean People . Its author/editor was Richard Rutt, an Anglican missionary who served for a number of years as the Anglican bishop of Daejeon before he...
- Gyeongju, Korea’s treasure house
- Jul 10, 2013
- The RAS usually organizes at least two excursions to Gyeongju every year. It is the single most important ancient cultural site in Korea and everyone who spends some time in the country should visit it. It is one of my personal favorite places, and it is a great pleasure for me t...
- Seoul’s Twin Pagodas
- Jun 20, 2013
- In the very center of Seoul there is a small park that is nowadays usually called “Tapgol Park.” It used to be known as “Pagoda Park” in English, which was more helpful for foreign visitors, since very few non-Koreans will recognize that the “Tap” of Tapgol means “pagoda.” There ...
- Discovering Korea
- Jun 07, 2013
- Everyone who arrives in Korea begins an adventure of discovery. There are the mostly excellent first impressions: the wonderful airport at Incheon; the quick, bright, clean trains into Seoul; the easy-to-navigate Seoul subway system; the towering modern buildings in the city cent...