Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands Maxime Verhagen visits Korea
Oct 29, 2008
1. Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Yu Myung-hwan had a meeting with Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands Maxime Verhagen on October 29. Minister Verhagen is visiting Korea from October 28 to 29.
2. The two Ministers expressed satisfaction with the development of the bilateral relations not only in economy and trade, but also in politics, society, education, culture and international stage since the establishment of diplomatic ties in 1961. They also reconfirmed the strong will to continuously promote the bilateral relations.
3. Minister Yu expressed hope for the strengthening of bilateral cooperation in atomic energy. In particular,
he requested the Netherlands to actively support the KAERI consortium with regard to the international bid to the PALLAS project of the Netherlands, which is a construction project on 80MW nuclear reactor for research. Minister Verhagen introduced the NESO Korea that opened today and hoped for the improvement of cooperation between the two countries in the area of education.
4. The two Ministers shared the view that Korea and the EU need to be flexible to conclude the Korea-EU FTA and complete the discussion on the revision of the Korea-EU Framework Agreement on Trade and Cooperation.
5. The two Ministers also exchanged views on political landscape of the Korean Peninsula, Northeast Asia and Afghanistan and agreed to closely work together for global issues including the international financial crisis, climate change and energy security.
Spokesperson of MOFAT
* unofficial translation
Department Global Communication and Contents Division , Contact Us