Minister of Unification Chung Dongyoung on Feb. 18 announces measures to prevent civilian drones from going into North Korea at Government Complex-Seoul in the capital's Jongno-gu District. (Yonhap News)
By Charles Audouin
Minister of Unification Chung Dongyoung on Feb. 18 announced a preemptive review and promotion of the restoration of parts of a 2018 military agreement with North Korea, including the designation of no-fly zones, "to prevent accidental clashes and build military trust."
Speaking at a briefing held at Government Complex-Seoul, he said, "To prevent a recurrence of civilian drone infiltrations into North Korea, the Lee Jae Myung administration decided to announce its official stance on this issue after a meeting of security-related ministers."
Based on the agreement, the designation of no-fly zones bars flights by aircraft including drones near the Military Demarcation Line (MDL). Flights will be prohibited within 15 km of the MDL to the east and 10 km to the west.
The ministry said, "In consultation with relevant ministries and the U.S., we are considering restoring parts of the Sept. 19 military agreement including the designation of no-fly zones."
Right after its launch in June last year, the Lee administration halted and removed loudspeaker broadcasts toward North Korea, suspended the radio program "Voice of Freedom," resumed searches for the remains of soldiers at Baengmagoji Battlefield and proposed inter-Korean military talks.
caudouin@korea.kr